[lbo-talk] 'shillin' with Al Franken

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Mar 26 14:53:21 PST 2004

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> Good for Sam Smith. See Tom Gorman, "Al Franken and Al-Shifa"
> <www.counterpunch.org/gorman10182003.html>, where Franken is quoted as
> referring to himself as a "DLC Democrat" and defending Clinton's
> cruise-missile bombing of the al-Shifa Pharmaceutical Plant in Sudan in
> 1998 (which, we learned this week, Richard Clarke approved and still
> defends). --CGE

Here's a good example of the poverty of thinking behind the Anybody But Bush movement. Before anybody gets all sanctimonious about the bombing of this plant in Sudan, I want to know where all of you guys were at the time? Did you get out in the streets and protest this act? Was it OK because noted humanitarian and progressive Bill Clinton ordered the strike?

The outrage from the American Left was deafening in its silence. I didn't see any of you out in the streets. I was out in front of the White House after the attacks and I don't remember there being more than a handful of protesters. My sign was flippant enough (No Bombs for Blowjobs) to get mentioned in Hitchen's book, but I was out there protesting these terrotist attacks by the Clinton White House.

Which goes to show that when Kerry gets elected, he will create more wars than G.W. just to show how tough the Democrats are on terrorism. The Left will abidicate their dissent because "at least he ain't Bush."

Chuck0