[lbo-talk] Emma v Ralph

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Mar 26 15:58:20 PST 2004

From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

This (hypothesized) division between "the individual" on the one hand (presumably existing in a vacuum, coming form nowhere) and "the group"on the other (each having "an interest") is (as calling it a _modern_ riddle suggests) a product of history, not only but mostly capitalist history. Caudwell's essay, "Liberty" is of interest in tracing the roots of this historical actuality presenting itself as a fundamental reality.

Carrol

^^^^^

Yes ,and speaking of love, one of Caudwell's essays in _Studies of a Dying Culture_ is on love. I couldn't find it by search engine. I'll send it if I find it.

As I recall , Caudwell's discussion of love would be interesting vis-a-vis the issue of the relationship between individuals and society. He finds love and production at the cell level. By love he means something similar to the sociality at issue here.

Did Jesus who lived in a slave mode of production express a bourgeois concept ?

Charles