[lbo-talk] 'shillin' with Al Franken

Seth Ackerman sethia at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 26 17:18:52 PST 2004

From: "Luke Weiger" <lweiger at umich.edu>

> Prior to Seth's post, I was actually thinking through some of the very
same
> points he brought up. It certainly seems that the US should've gotten
> approval from the UN, but I wonder why they never sought it

I still don't think you really get it. The US would not have *gotten* approval from the UN. If it had gone to the UN and said this factory is making weapons, the UN would have said that the proper solution is to demand inspections. If there had been inspections, the factory would have been declared clean and there wouldn't have been a bombing at all. This is how civilized countries resolve disputes. The problem with what Clinton did was not legalistic or technical. It was its entire modus operandi of lawless aggression.

Seth