[lbo-talk] the pharmacology of self-description

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 20:25:30 PST 2004

--- Eubulides <paraconsistent at comcast.net> wrote: <<And the reason we would resist is not because such a world would be unjust, or even because it would lead to a world with more pain and suffering, but because of the extent to which it has been planned and engineered. We would resist the idea that the whole world is there to be manipulated for human ends.>>

Nice article. It recalls Huxley's "Brave New World". And just as paradoxically Huxley went from imagining a world in which the drug "soma" would make everybody "happy" but somehow numb and uniform, to in his real life embracing drugs,namely LSD and mescaline, as sources of spontaneity and chaos (and means to, according to him, contact with something transcendent), I wonder if we cant also subvert these technologies and drugs (mentioned in the article) some way in order to promote spontaneity, novelty rather than the hegemonistic uniformity that they are now used to impose.

Something to think about.

-Thomas