[lbo-talk] 'shillin' with Al Franken

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Mar 26 20:59:36 PST 2004

On Friday, March 26, 2004, at 04:50 PM, Joseph Wanzala quoted:

> The difference between the great leftists humorists of the past - Mort
> Sahl, Lennie Bruce and the like - and the Franken types of today is
> that the former were (a) funny, (b) not shills for the Democratic
> Party. - SAM SMITH www.prorev.com

I'd like to see another Lennie Bruce today, but unfortunately they're in rather short supply. Does anyone know of any contemporary Lennies up and coming?

(Actually, anyone of the Bush gang you care to pick is an excellent political comic, but it takes a strong sense of irony to appreciate their humor.)

Mort is still around, but not doing much publicly, apparently. I heard him awhile back critiquing today's comics, maybe on Fresh Air, but I don't remember exactly where.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax