[lbo-talk] 'shillin' with Al Franken

mitchelcohen at mindspring.com mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 26 23:54:18 PST 2004

"Luke Weiger" <lweiger at umich.edu> wrote:

> 1) The planners of the raid thought it was a plant for manufacturing weapons; not medicine. <

That's what they SAID, not necessarily what they thought.

> The intelligence, as we now know, was completely wrong. I don't think anyone has argued that the Clinton team intentionally bombed what they knew to be a pharmaceutical plant; if that was the case, of course they should be doing time. <

Disagree. I think Clinton certainly knew it was a pharm plant. In fact, it was one of the ONLY pharm plants of that capacity in that section of Africa, maybe all of Africa, and it was providing medicines at far less of a cost than the American and European drug companies bent on selling expensive and dangerous genetically engineered drugs to Africa. Clinton & Gore were, if nothing else, the administration from Monsanto and giant promoters of American genetically engineered pharmaceuticals. Didn't want any competition. So when the opportunity came (Monica Lewinsky's blue dress and all), they took it.

Mitchel Cohen