[lbo-talk] Re: frankenbore

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Mar 27 06:22:28 PST 2004

> [Franken & Davis] were hilarious...what ever happened to davis, who must
have been
> even more important to their humor than i thought at the time?
>
> fs

Tom Davis lives somewhere north of NYC, writing here and there, last time I heard (he occasionally talks to a friend of mine in LA). It's true that Davis was, at one time, a very sharp writer, but he and Franken broke up over the fact that Davis refused to go into rehab, which Franken tried to to get him to do through an intervention. (He also doesn't seem as ambitious as Franken, who's much more comfortable in the limelight.) When I was researching my O'Donoghue bio, I interviewed Davis at some Irish pub on the Upper East Side (his choice) at 10 AM. He was going through the screwdrivers at a steady rate, and insisted I drink something, which I rarely do at that hour on a weekday. So I nursed a pint of Bass while Davis delivered a pretty good amount of info about him and Franken, the show, O'Donoghue, etc. He was lucid but very buzzed. I kinda felt sorry for him. He's a real sweet guy, though.

DP