[lbo-talk] I am shocked, shocked . . .

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 27 08:52:20 PST 2004

http://tinyurl.com/ys7o2

Dallas Morning News, March 26, 2004, 10:29 PM CST

GOP donors double dipping with Nader

AUSTIN -- Independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader is getting a little help from his friends -- and from George W. Bush's friends.

Nearly 10 percent of the Nader contributors who have given him at least $250 each have a history of supporting the Republican president, national GOP candidates or the party, according to computer-assisted review of financial records by The Dallas Morning News.

Among the new crop of Nader donors: actor and former Nixon speechwriter Ben Stein, Florida frozen-food magnate Jeno Paulucci and Pennsylvania oil company executive Terrence Jacobs. All have strong ties to the GOP.

Democrats have warned that Mr. Nader's entry in the race could help Mr. Bush by drawing votes from John Kerry. Some analysts say Mr. Nader's third-party candidacy four years ago siphoned off Democratic voters and cost Vice President Al Gore the White House.

"Republicans are well aware that Ralph Nader played a spoiler role in the 2000 election. And there is no reason why they wouldn't want to encourage and help him do so again in 2004," said Jano Cabrera, a spokesman for the Democrat National Committee.

A spokesman for the Bush campaign declined to comment on Mr. Nader.

"We're focused on our campaign. We're focused on generating support for Republican candidates," said Danny Diaz, referring inquiries about Nader fund raising to his donors.

Republicans who have given to Mr. Nader offered a variety of explanations, including a desire to provide voters a choice in November and to highlight the consumer advocate's issues. Some donors said they were miffed by efforts, primarily Democrats, to keep Mr. Nader off the ballot.

None said their donations were designed to boost Mr. Bush's chances in the fall.

"Did I give $1,000 to Ralph Nader because I hope and believe he will be president? No," said California business executive Charles Ashman. "I don't believe that any more than Ralph Nader does. But I was offended to see this campaign to squelch him from being a candidate."

Mr. Ashman said he remains a staunch Republican. He contributed $2,000 to the Bush campaign, the maximum allowed for the general election, according to records.

"I proudly made a contribution to the re-election of President Bush because I support him 100 percent," he said. "I hope and believe he will be re-elected."

'Spoiler' label

Mr. Nader has dismissed the "spoiler" label Democrats have given him, saying he expects this time to draw equally from both parties.

In 2000, Mr. Nader was on the ballot in 43 states and the District of Columbia and got 2.7 percent of the vote nationwide. Experts say he was a deciding factor in two states, Florida and New Hampshire, both of which Mr. Bush won by razor-thin margins.

A Kerry spokesman declined to discuss Mr. Nader.

According to campaign finance reports, Mr. Nader raised $930,000 through February. During the same period, Mr. Bush had raised $158 million and Mr. Kerry $41 million.

More than 24 Nader contributors of $250 or more -- about 10 percent of his total -- are otherwise reliable GOP donors, The News review found.

Mr. Paulucci, the creator of Chun King and Jeno's Pizza Rolls, donated $2,000 in February to Mr. Nader.

The Florida frozen-food executive is a prolific contributor to the GOP, giving more than $150,000 to the Republican Party and national candidates since 2000.

Mr. Paulucci described himself as a independent and said he also has supported Democrats, including those in his native Minnesota. Most of his money in federal races has gone to Republicans, records show.

Mr. Paulucci said he met Mr. Nader in Minnesota some years ago in connection with a tax issue.

"I saw him on TV. I thought I would give the guy a little bit of encouragement," he said. "I didn't think for a moment that this is going to help Bush. No, that was not my thought."

Ben Stein's money

As for Ben Stein's money, the television personality and outspoken advocate for the Republican Party has contributed $500 to Nader and $1,000 to Mr. Bush this year. Records indicate that over the last decade, Mr. Stein has given exclusively to the GOP.

In the 2000 presidential race, Mr. Stein agreed to make TV ads for Mr. Bush, although they were never aired. He did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Others helping Mr. Nader with $2,000 checks are Robert Monks, who lost a Senate race in Maine, and his wife, Millicent. Both have a long history of contributing money to Republicans and are financially backing Mr. Bush's re-election.

Daniel Hartnett, a self-described conservative who operates a plumbing business in Sioux City, Iowa, said his $250 to Mr. Nader was not meant to help Mr. Bush. He said he agrees with some of Mr. Nader's views.

Four years ago, Mr. Hartnett supported Mr. Bush, and although he hasn't contributed to his re-election this year, that's where his loyalties lie in November.

"I'm a Republican," he said. "If Mr. Bush comes out and takes a good hard conservative stand on a few issues that I care about, I'll probably send him $2,000."

Staff writer Jennifer LaFleur in Dallas contributed to this report

E-mail wslater at dallasnews.com

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!