[lbo-talk] 'shillin' with Al Franken

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sat Mar 27 16:00:16 PST 2004

Seth wrote:

> I still don't think you really get it.

Maybe not.

> The US would not have *gotten* approval from the UN. If it had gone to the
UN and said this factory is
> making weapons, the UN would have said that the proper solution is to
demand
> inspections.

Well, if the Clinton admin had good reason to think that UN inspections would provide an effective means of dealing with the situaiton, why didn't they pursue them? Do you accept the ludicrous "Wag the Dog" explanation (i.e. Clinton needed to blow stuff up to distract attention from Monicagate)?

(It is, of course, true that the Clinton folks knew that there wouldn't be any serious reprecussions to acting unilaterally, so they didn't have a great deal of incentive to do otherwise.)

-- Luke