[lbo-talk] Putin lauds Russia's multi-faith Caucasus, acknowledges " tragedies "

" Chris Doss " nomorebounces at mail.ru
Sun Mar 28 01:38:59 PST 2004

BBC Monitoring Putin lauds Russia's multi-faith Caucasus, acknowledges "tragedies" Source: Channel One TV, Moscow, in Russian 1800 gmt 25 Mar 04

At a regional forum in Russia's Southern Federal District, which includes the North Caucasus, President Vladimir Putin has praised the region, where various religions, he said, have co-existed in peace for centuries. He admitted that it had had "more than its fair share of tragedies", such as the deportation of the Chechens and Ingush in 1944. "We failed to acknowledge that date almost in any way," he said. He also introduced his new envoy to the region, ex-St Petersburg governor Vladimir Yakovlev. The following is excerpted from a report in Russian Channel One TV's "Vremya" news on 25 March:

[Presenter] In Sochi, the president met regional heads from Russia's Southern Federal District: Adygeya, Dagestan, Ingushetia, Kabarda-Balkaria, Kalmykia, Karachay-Cherkessia, North Ossetia - Alania, Chechnya, Krasnodar and Stavropol Territories, and Astrakhan, Rostov and Volgograd Regions, a total of 13 constituent parts of the Russian Federation. [Passage omitted]

[Putin] Russia's south is a unique place, both in terms of its denominational and national make-up. Here, the people of most varied religions have co-existed for centuries. They have not only co-existed, but have lived in accord and peace. Over hundreds of years, a certain culture of collaboration has become established. There are enormous natural resources here. The climate here is excellent. Here lie some of the shortest routes between Asia and Europe. All this can and must be put to effective use so as to raise the level of wellbeing for those who live here.

On the other hand, we are also aware of its problems, such as a very high level of unemployment; the fact that this region is Russia's worst as regards investment, while some areas have had no investment at all over a very long period of time; and the fact that incomes per capita in terms of GDP per capita are lower in Russia's south than on average elsewhere in the country by a factor of between 1.5 and two, this despite its developed industry and agriculture plus its great human resources potential and the development of science. All together, this cannot but have a connection with quite a tense situation in some parts of Russia's south.

The region has also seen more than its fair share of tragedies. Consider its history of deportation and resettlement, which mainly affected precisely the south of our country. In this context, it occurs to me that 23 February marked the 60th anniversary of the Chechen and Ingush people's deportation, but we failed to acknowledge that date almost in any way. It seems to me that we, together, have made a serious mistake here. We have no right to forget dates such as this.

[Passage omitted: Krasnodar governor Aleksandr Tkachev's ceremonial address to the forum, plus North Ossetian leader Aleksandr Dzasokhov's call for an "intelligent" policy to help "rehabilitate" the region.]

[Correspondent] Also today [25 March], Vladimir Putin introduced his new plenipotentiary representative in the Southern Federal District to the regional leaders. Vladimir Yakovlev is well-known to his former colleagues and now his subordinates, the president said. He also talked about the decree he had signed as regards changes to the presidential administration.

[Putin] As you know, changes are now being made to the Russian government. Accordingly, today I signed a decree on structural changes to the presidential administration. Appointments have also been signed accordingly in respect of some current top officials in the administration, which confirm them in their posts.

One of these decrees concerns the plenipotentiary representative of the Russian Federation's president in Russia's south. As you know, he is Vladimir Anatolyevich Yakovlev, whom you know well. For many, many years, he was your colleague. From his work in the regions, he knows their problems at first hand. Many of those problems remain to this day, unresolved. He knows this first-hand. My great hope is that Vladimir Anatolyevich will be able to take another step towards the strengthening of federative relations in Russia's south and will help regional heads in Russia's south perform their duties. [Passage omitted]