[lbo-talk] Re: Georgia House bans genital piercings

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 29 08:08:13 PST 2004

Dear List:

>From article that Kevin posted:

> The bill would make such mutilation punishable by two to 20 years in prison. It makes no exception for people who give consent to have the procedure performed on their daughters out of religious or cultural custom.

Nice to know that even consent now is no longer a defense. Also, there is no defense for it being done for reasons of sexual pleasure. On a good note there is activism on this issue in the alt sex community. Will have to wait and see if other progressives help out or sit on their hands.

> An amendment adopted without objection added "piercing" to the list of things that may not be done to female genitals. Even adult women would not be allowed to get the procedure. The bill eventually passed 160-0, with no debate.

Scary or what?

> "What? I've never seen such a thing," Heath said. "I, uh, I wouldn't approve of anyone doing it. I don't think that's an appropriate thing to be doing."

Imposition of morality anyone?

> The ban applies only to women, not men.

Whew!! Thank goodness. The world is still safe for PA's. That was a close one. LOL.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Pierced Resister