[lbo-talk] Accumulation (was IRA & ETA)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 29 20:43:39 PST 2004

Ted Winslow wrote:

> 'Nothing so evil as money ever grew to be current among men. This lays
> cities low, this drives men from their homes, this trains and warps
> honest souls till they set themselves to works of shame; this still
> teaches folk to practise villanies, and to know every godless deed.'
> (Antigone, lines 295-301)

Creon, charging the messenger (Sentry) with the crime, or as the Sentry says,

Oh its terrible when the one who does the judging

judges all things wrong.

The passage is tricky.

And later on Creon says of Tiresias,

Oh his ilk has tried to sell me short

and ship me off for years.*

That is reality itself (or its voice) accused of taking bribes.

Carrol

*The editors of the text I looked this up in, Wilkie & Hurt, _Literature of the Western World_, have a grotesque footnote here, which I never noticed while teaching from the text: "Ironically, Oedipus had accused Tiresias and Creon himself of a similar, and equally imaginary, mercenary plot." Hah! Oedipus Tyrannus was written 10 years after _Antigone_! Instead of "had accused" it should be "was to accuse."