[lbo-talk] jobs for medievalists

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 22:56:32 PST 2004

jeffrey fisher wrote:

> on more thing: the academic job market is also quite bad, although
> maybe it's better for non-medievalists . . .

I hear that this one hasn't been filled yet ... strangely enough the combination of financial economics and Medieval Latin isn't a particularly popular skillset.

http://www.info.rdg.ac.uk/newjobs/details.asp?RefernceNumber=R0406

Description: A unique opportunity has arisen for a medievalist to work on an ESRC funded project investigating advance contracts for the supply of wool in the Thirteenth Century – between English Cistercian Monasteries and Italian Merchant Bankers. This project has an innovative methodological approach, combining the study of the medieval economy with modern techniques in finance.

The successful applicant will commence work on 1st April 2004. The project aims to challenge assumptions regarding the emergence of modern finance and would suit someone with an enquiring and questioning outlook.

Although working at the ISMA Centre, The Business School for Financial Markets, we are looking for a medieval postdoctoral researcher, with excellent skills in palaeography and Medieval Latin and with an understanding of the medieval economy. The postholder will be expected to make regular visits to the National Archives at Kew and other record offices.

=====

___________________________________________________________ WIN FREE WORLDWIDE FLIGHTS - nominate a cafe in the Yahoo! Mail Internet Cafe Awards www.yahoo.co.uk/internetcafes