[lbo-talk] Academic jobs? Really?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 30 08:41:15 PST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, joanna bujes wrote:

> I saw that BLS thing and I queried the list before but no one answered.
> Is this really possible? Is it conceivable I could get a teaching job?
> Does anyone know whether this is anything more than smoke and mirrors?
> Does it include English profs?
>
> Joanna

I haven't seen the projections for specific academic disciplines. That's important, as you and Carrol point out. I'd guess the growth would be weakest in the humanities, strongest in the business/tech areas. The other important thing going on the disappearance of tenure-track jobs. Fewer and fewer college classes are taught by tenured profs; part-timers and temp full time lecturers are more and more common.

Good example: enrollment at my community college has been increasing dramatically over the last decade. --The administration's solution to increased student enrollment? Hire more temp workers. Now that I think of this trend, perhaps teaching college is not really the best solution to Chuck's employment problem.

Miles