[lbo-talk] Anybody paying attention to what's happening in Pakistan?

Brad Mayer Bradley.Mayer at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 30 12:54:32 PST 2004

..the Mother of all Stans? Not just LBO, but anywhere in the USA? What a psychotic country this is. Looks like Musharrifs' army got its ass kicked:

William S. Lind: http://www.counterpunch.com/lind03302004.html

What does this failure mean? The Washington Post quoted a retired Pakistani Army general as saying, "The state has to win this battle or its credibility will be destroyed." I suspect the general is correct. In fact, I will go further: I think the failure of the Pakistani Army to win this battle marks the beginning of the end for Pakistan's current President, General Musharraf. The defensive victory of the tribal fighters will turn into an offensive victory, giving courage and a sense of inevitable victory to Musharraf's enemies while causing near-revolt in Musharraf's base, the army itself. Before the year is out, I suspect we will see General Musharraf's head impaled on a pike and surging Pashtun crowds proclaiming Osama as their leader.

At that point the American strategic failures that are the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will have transformed themselves into an American strategic disaster. As I have said before in On War, Iraq and Afghanistan themselves mean little. The centers of gravity in this war are Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. What is important about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is how they affect these other countries and their pro-American governments.

*Musharraf left counting the cost *By Syed Saleem Shahzad

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/FC30Df01.html