[lbo-talk] Voting, pro, semi-pro, con, and black-market (Was: final poll results)

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Tue Mar 30 17:26:32 PST 2004

On Tuesday, March 30, 2004, at 06:52 PM, Chuck0 wrote:

> Hey, has everybody heard that the new Arthur Andersen incarnation is
> involved in electronic voting?

Not quite. Accenture spun off from Andersen Consulting a long time before the scandal. I wouldn't characterize them as a dirty company a la Andersen or Enron.

Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/

Quote: "The Open Voting Consortium (OVC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the development, maintenance, and delivery of open voting systems for use in public elections.

"We are currently developing a prototype version of free voting software to run on very inexpensive PC hardware. OVC voting systems will accommodate different languages and scoring methods, as well as voters with special needs. The prototype software development effort is housed at SourceForge.net .

"Please try our web demo voting system that allows you to enter your votes and see a ballot as it would be printed in a polling station.

"We expect to be fully operational with the certification of version 1.0 of the Open Voting software. Meanwhile, our demo is scheduled for 1 April 2004 10:00 AM at the Santa Clara County government office building at 70 W. Hedding St., San Jose."

John A