[lbo-talk] Green dropouts

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Tue Mar 30 19:15:47 PST 2004

So that we are clear as to how we got to the point of Doug resorting to four letter words and personal attacks against me: Doug asked me for an explanation for why Matt Gonzalez might not feel that serving another term is not worth the considerable personal sacrifice which serving in office entails. I suggested that one component of the explanation involved the hostility demonstrated not by the corporate media (whose hostility is predictable), but that of the establishment progressive media. This hostility is an important cause of the failure of the party to grow sufficiently over the past few years and will continue to be an impediment in the future.

I believe Doug's attitudes reflect those of his employer the Nation in this respect. I was wrong to personalize this, however. Doug is by no means uniquely to blame any more than my own personal failings are to blame for the failure of the Greens. Insofar as what I wrote implies otherwise, I apologize.

Finally, one misconception in Doug's posting needs to be corrected. Participation in building a party does not consist solely in running for office, though that is certainly valuable. At best, political parties provide a structure in which many people participate according to the full range of their abilities. (Chomsky has a nice brief discussion of this aspect of the CP in a recent interview which i can't seem to find. Perhaps someone else can. I'm sure many of you know my colleague Michael Denning's the Cultural Front which deals with the subject in detail.)

In any case, at minimum, what is primarily required of nominal progressives in relation to a progressive third party is a commitment by to the Hippocratic oath: first do no harm.

The lack of this commitment comes as no surprise, but it is sad nonetheless.

With that, I'll sign off the list-assuming I have not been bounced already.

Best Regards,

John Halle --