[lbo-talk] RE: Green dropouts

Jessica LaBumbard jesslabumbard at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 11:07:52 PST 2004

I just saw Camejo speak in Detroit the other night. He is quite a funny, smart, and engaging speaker. He told us about the thousands and thousands of young people that joined Gonzalez's campaign, and about the benefits for Gonzalez that sprung up all over the city, etc, without the Green party even orchestrating them. What is going to happen to these people? A Detroit Green put out a question on a local list asking that someone convince him to support the Green's having a presidential candidate. I answered saying that if the Greens don't have a candidate, to me that is the death of the party. What are all these young people going to think if they see the Greens back down, or if they see people decide to not run for office because of "pressure" from progressives? Why disillusion these young people who joined the Gonzalez campaign - they believed that something could change, and what in the world will happen to them politically if they feel themselves abandoned? This is the time to keep going forward - if only to show people that you cannot give up when the going gets tough, or things will never change. I think Doug has very good comments in regards to this (aside from the fuck you part).

I should also note that I am not a Green, so I don't have lots of info at all on what is going on internally, but these are my thoguhts anyway.

jessica

_________________________________________________________________ Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar – FREE! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/