[lbo-talk] Re: Nader as Condorcet winner

Tim Francis-Wright twright at ziplink.net
Wed Mar 31 22:46:20 PST 2004

Mitchell Cohen wrote:

> A short while back, some folks challenged my assertion that under the
> Condorcet version of Proportional Representation Ralph Nader would have won
> the Presidential election. Well, here is the reference, read it yourself.
> Mitchel Cohen
>
> Barry Burden's analysis of the 2000 National Election Survey with
> discussion of the Condorcet vote is posted at
> http://psweb.sbs.ohio-state.edu/faculty/hweisberg/conference/burdosu.pdf

That's hardly a fair summation of the paper, however. To quote from page 3:

"Examining the pre-election rankings, Nader beats Buchanan (659-200), Gore (527-500), and Bush (562-491), thus making him the Condorcet winner. Running through the list of voting methods that are commonly discussed in textbooks on the subject (e.g., Shepsle and Bonchek 1997), Gore wins whether using a plurality runoff, sequential runoff, Borda count, or approval voting."

In other words, using the methods proposed for actually running elections (because Condorcet winners do not have to exist for elections), Nader loses.

Also intriguing is this from Page 4: "Nader voters say they felt less enthusiastic about their choice than did people who voted for one of the other three candidates." Now that's a stirring endorsement from the dataset.

--tim francis-wright