[lbo-talk] Criminal stats question

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Mar 31 22:56:09 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

> Does anyone know where to find statistics of criminal convictions by
> convicts income or social class in this country?
>
> Wojtek

People of low socio-economic status are vastly overrepresented in our prisons primarily due to the following two factors: (1) they commit more crimes, due to bad formative circumstantial luck (e.g. I don't have much incentive to beat someone up to steal his wallet, though I might if my employment opportunities were dim at best) and 2) the quality of legal representation they receive is abysmal.

-- Luke