[lbo-talk] Gallup poll: 98% cooperation rate

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sat May 1 08:20:10 PDT 2004

On Sat, 01 May 2004 10:42:40 -0400, <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> That said, polling/ethnography/etc. etc. were and are used as ways to
> subjugate populations as part of a nationalizing process. It's a double-
> edged sword. But this isn't really news to anyone who has a healthy
> understanding of the history of the social sciences and their ambivalent
> relation to the state, imperializing or nationlizing (which are two parts
> of the same process....).
>
> Kelley

Mandarins of the Future: Modernization Theory in Cold War America (New Studies in American Intellectual and Cultural History) by Nils Gilman, Howard Brick (Editor) (Hardcover - February 2004)

http://www.cia-on-campus.org/social/camelot.html
>From The Rise and Fall of Project Camelot: Studies in the Relationship
Between Social Science and Practical Politics, Irving Louis Horowitz, ed. (Cambridge MA: The M.I.T. Press, 1967), pp. 47-49 (document) and 232-36 (Jorge Montes):

Document Number 1

The following description of Project Camelot was released on December 4, 1964, through the Office of the Director of the Special Operations Research Office (SORO) of the American University in Washington, D.C. It was sent to scholars who were presumed interested in the study of internal war potentials and who might be willing to assemble at a four-week conference at the Airlie House in Virginia in August 1965. This release, dated December 4, 1964, is a summary version of a larger set of documents made available in August 1964 and in December 1964 [I.L.H.].

A Communist Commentary on Camelot by Jorge Montes Chilean Chamber of Deputies, 1965

-- Michael Pugliese