[lbo-talk] Peace, War, Inequality (Was Geras on Morality)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 08:55:38 PDT 2004

Reply below:

> > Btw,
> > the point is not that democracies are pacific in
> > general, just towards each other, and the web of
> > agreements part is important too.
>
> India and US did not fight any wars, but the
> relationship was full of
> conflict during last 50 years. (It has been
> described as akin to a roller
> coaster ride.) Kashmir, Bangladesh, nuclear weapons
> etc. were among the
> important issues on which India and US were in
> conflict. Moreover, US
> regularly armed Pakistan with high tech weapons
> which were used against
> India in 65 and 71.
>
> We also know that US generally favoured Third World
> dictatorships during the
> Cold War.

All this supports rather than undermines the point. The question is now whether there is absence of conflict but whether it escalates to war. US-India relations haven't and are not going to. The US and every other country plkays favorites and diplomacy, including military diplomacy, but to quote another conservative, jaw-jaw is bet than fight-fight. And as for the support for the dictaorships, I expressly denied that capitalsist democracvies were pacaific, I have repeatedly stated that they engage in imperilaist wars. But not against other rich democracies who belong to their web of agreements and alliances. That's the point.