[lbo-talk] Re: Cultural change?

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sat May 1 17:17:13 PDT 2004

gary? is right about the issues, doug. now, you cheer the fuck up. when everything sucks that's no reason to give up. that's a reason to get involved. i'd hope after watching shrub and his pals do their thing for the past few years, people would realize they don't have the luxury of saying fuck it all. that typically white middle class self indulgence is a one way ticket to a right wing dictatorship.

i realize you were speaking metaphorically. but your words do reflect the attitude of a lot of spoiled, self indulgent people who'd rather live in a fools paradise than deal with reality, until it disastrously affects them. we have to know our enemy no matter how disgusting and depressing than gets. then, organize and get involved, which can be equally disgusting and depressing. the issue isn't simply how we phrase it, it's what we do about it.

gary?, what the fuck do you suggest we do? i've been waiting for an outspoken black voice who doesn't avoid black issues -- which you appear to be -- on this message board for a long time. let's hear it from you.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 3:33 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Cultural change?

Gary? wrote:

>From: "Doug Henwood" >
>> What the fuck is that supposed to mean? And where are you coming from
>exactly?
>>
>Ask Leonard Peltier, let's re-visit Riby Ridge, the Move house in
>Philadelphia, Waco, meandering verbiage on the wonders of the sixties
>doesn't do justice to the realities. Middle class white america safely
>ensconced at home debating the trials and tribulations when anybody who
>steeped off the main stream has been blasted down, just the same outcome
and
>response as in any tinpot dictatorship.Quote Chomsky? more civilised ? lets
>all bow to this super hero, how many Afghans ,Iraqis, Palestinians are
being
>wasted, de humanised, by 'our' troops, and we have this guy waxing lyrical
>about the wonder of the counter culture, come on Doug, pound on the door of
>the Whiter House, oh right, we're so civilised you can't get near it.

Everything sucks. Totally hopeless. Let's just give up. Fuck it all.