[lbo-talk] Hersh on Abu Ghraib: Systematic and documented months ago

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sat May 1 18:54:17 PDT 2004

At 3:02 PM -0400 1/5/04, Doug Henwood wrote:

>I swear, W has done more to discredit the U.S. imperial project than
>any other force in history. Have we ever been so hated, even at the
>height of the Vietnam War?

Isn't he terrific!

At 12:26 PM -0700 1/5/04, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>This is the Bushevik's unintentioned gift to the
>world: freedom from at least one illusion.

But not the only gift...

At 3:43 PM -0700 1/5/04, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>The tide is going out for the US in Iraq. They were
>not able to use their military strength against
>Fallujah and Najaf. They have very little political
>support outside Kurdistan. They can no longer win. It
>may be one of the most extraordinary defeats in
>history.

I love the "tide is going out" metaphor. It conjures up the image of the US invaders as a pod of whales beached in the middle of the desert, unable to defend themselves, unable to retreat and slowly being crushed to death by their own immense bulk as the mob descends to taunt them in their misery.

A remarkable achievement this defeat. Not many people could have pulled it off so convincingly and its all their own work, the opposition being fairly clueless. The Bush administration may go down in history as the most bungling, incompetent and stupid US government of all time.

Four more years, surely that isn't much for the rest of the world to ask for.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas