[lbo-talk] Re: Cultural change?

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun May 2 14:44:35 PDT 2004

> Economic and technological dominance needs no explanation, it's obvious.

What tremendous new economic leverage does the US have now over India which it didn't have 15 years ago? The Eurobanks are the creditors of the world. East Asia continues to dominate in electrics/electronics. The software industry is multinational. Isn't India still a relatively self-contained economy, with low amounts of foreign debt and low trade-to-GDP ratios?

> There is nothing comparable to Discovery or
> National Geographic channel in German or Japanese.

Pokemon? Nintendo? Playstation 2? All those shiny German cars, French foods and Italian fashions the Indian upper middle class is consuming these days?

> Indian film industry
> (notorious for atrocious films) has not been adversely affected by
> Hollywood.

Any film culture which could produce a gem like "Lagaan" will do fine against Hollywood. (I know, I know, cricket nationalism is more than a little problematic these days... it was still a rollicking good tale).

-- DRR