[lbo-talk] Purging Black Votes: 2000 and 2004

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 3 07:10:01 PDT 2004

R wrote:

>what victories? the victories are in the past. what's needed is a clear,
>unabashed appraisal of what "liberals" and the left are up against. then
>organizing to deal with it.

We - and I'm including myself in this - are rather lacking in a compelling vision of the future. Part of the reason may be that we've lost that old Hegelian/Marxist trick of finding the seeds of the new in the belly of the old. So much left discourse is about horrors - exploitation, genocide, heat death of the universe, the evils of "globalization," the crimes of Howard Stern - that people don't want to listen to us, and we have no plausible strategy for making things any better.

Doug