[lbo-talk] Re: The Mammal Jihad

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 3 08:02:13 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Chris Doss asks:

> Why is there a jihad for every wretched ethnic gang in the world, but no jihad for the mammals?

I would only add: why would progressives support any jihad? (I have not inferred that Chris supports jihad so please be calm)

I was intrigued by an article from the NY Times this weekend regarding a peaceful, non-violent hunger strike being staged for the liberation of Tibet. Unfortunately the Times' website now shows an altered, shortened version.

In the longer version, one of the monks on the hunger strike noted that a suicide bomber gets immediate coverage, but it took 29 days for anyone to notice a non-violent protest.

Maybe progressives have to become more vocal about the uselessness of violence, but it seems that left causes are being dragged down by those who commit violence to further them.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister