[lbo-talk] Cultural Change?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon May 3 08:48:06 PDT 2004

> -"World War I and the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 contributed
> -mightily to the advent of fascism..."
> - Samantha Power in yesterday's NYT Book Review

Has anyone read Power's book, "A Problem From Hell"? My wife's reading it as part of a group, so I picked it up and thumbed through it, and it is, my friends, an utter fraud. For a book about "American and the Age of Genocide," there's very little about direct American contributions to global misery and mass murder. A brief mention of East Timor, where Power says that the US "looked away" once Indonesia began the slaughter, no mention of Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala or the Turkish anti-Kurd campaign in the early-90s, but plenty about Saddam, Milosevic, et al. At best, Power lambastes the US for inaction or short-term realpolitick. But you're not gonna find much about US action against the world's poor, either directly or through proxies, which is why Power's book is so lauded by the liberal intelligensia. Even Nation eds like Marc Cooper praise the thing, and attack those on his blog (like myself) who point out these glaring omissions as "Red Guard" cadre, and so on. I'd call it a disgrace, but it's too commonly done to warrant such a dramatic term.

DP