[lbo-talk] Pro Kerry bumperstickers

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon May 3 11:11:44 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org>
>If
>there is anything that people should come away from Chomsky's writings
>is a clear understanding about how both parties are different sides of
>the same coin. The Democrats are not going to be kinder, gentler war
>criminals. Granted, A President Gore might not have invaded Iraq, but he
>would have pursued a war in Afghanistan after 9/11 and who can tell how
>many Balkans wars would have come along if Gore had become president.

And would a different kind of war in Afghanistan have been so bad? The Taliban were one of the most thuggish regimes on earth and a war meant to restore basic human rights and clean out Al Qaeda would hardly have been a bad thing. That's not the war that was fought and I never thought it would be, which is why I opposed Bush's war, but yes, there are "kinder, gentler wars" that are more admirable and acceptable than the straight-up conquering and looting operations that the Bush folks seem dedicated to.

And someone like Chomsky, who concentrates on foreign policy where the differences in the parties are least signficant, knows well the difference between the parties on domestic policy. From civil rights to labor rights, the differences are massive.

Nathan Newman