[lbo-talk] Re: Cultural change?

Gary? sladeg at verizon.net
Mon May 3 21:10:11 PDT 2004

From: "Eubulides"

> Why does any government fail to live up to it's ideals?

We, the people, allow it ?

Governments are
> not the most sublime expressions of culture. Duh.
>

> >. If there's a risk that present or future employers
> > might not like what you have to say here - or relatives or enemies or
> > whatever - then you shouldn't post under your own name or a recognizable
> > email address.
> >
> So we lack courage in our convictions ? Is this one of the problems of the
> left, grand verbose postures , counting coup on mail lists but all in
> secret. Surely the people who need to hear your opinions are the very ones
> you're hiding from. We've just been treated to a thesis on the 'astounding
> 60's' that laid the foundation for unsurpassed freedoms and enlightenment,
> am I to believe that in this land of the free, home of the brave,
> protector
> of free speech, forty years on, this cradle of democracy is nothing more
> than a sham. How deep is your fucking culture now, perhaps you should
> change
> your name to Plato.
>
> Gary?
> ride si sapis
>
> =====================
>
> Where did anybody assert that the 60's were an era of unsurpassed freedoms
> and enlightenment? Perhaps you need to learn to read.

I hold myself in good company then, I said " We've just been treated to a thesis on the 'astounding

60's' that laid the foundation for unsurpassed freedoms and enlightenment--"

" laid the foundation" big difference, no ? I understood the original post to suggest the 'counter culture' of the sixties created the environment for great strides in racial equality, gender understanding etc

> Don't even think you can begin to lecture me or anyone else on this list
> when it come to the issue of courage.

'don't even think' , who the fuck are you, perhaps the size of your ego is interfering with comprehension, I asked a question, a legitimate one I think. We live-we die and in these times young people are dying for fuck all because we have failed our fathers, history is repeating itself . I'll question what the hell I want and you can play whatever silly little games you want, when people are being incarcerated without trial, when an illegitimate government conducts illegal acts who will stand up and say enough- Spartacus ?

> You really need to get over your childish passive aggressive writing
> style.

why ? not sophisticated enough, it's certainly tiring.

Gary? ride si sapis