[lbo-talk] RE: Cultural Change

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Tue May 4 07:02:06 PDT 2004

On Monday, May 3, 2004, at 10:05 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> (As if higher consciousness will automagically solve
> social problems!) John was a brilliant songwriter,
> but political strategy was never his forte.

But Woj's original point has been lost sight of: he was trying to prove that the 60s were "apolitical" by bringing up the Beatles, as though that decade was about nothing but the Beatles.

The Beatles were popular, sure, but they were just pop music stars. Maybe it's my antipathy towards popular music, but I've never understood why so many people equate politics with whoever is at the top of the pop charts. The Beatles obviously never had anything to do with real politics. As I said previously, most of the real politics of that period was done without much notice in the media -- the media just looked at the fluff, for the most part. After all, they are capitalist enterprises -- they concentrate on what they can sell. So do the big recording companies. Do people on a left mailing list need to be reminded of all this?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax