[lbo-talk] RE: Cultural Change

Gary? sladeg at verizon.net
Tue May 4 10:43:14 PDT 2004

From: "joanna bujes"
> Gary writes:
>
> "yes, but John wasn't working class,"
>
> So what? Neither were Marx, Lenin, and Trotsky. Are we back to talking
about "healthy social origins"?

well apologies but it will be the first time for me. My point is Lennon was in a place that you could only dream of today. Although rationing continued into the fifties in the UK little Lennon would not have gone hungry. The new welfare state gave him free milk in the morning at his modern state school and if his parent/guardian couldn't provide the few shillings per week for school dinners they were provided free. School dinners that were substantial meat and two veg affairs with a steaming pudding for dessert. The state regularly checked out children at school for any of the basic ills, checking eyesight, hearing etc. If glasses were necessary they were provided by the state, free of course. Outside of school he could turn up at his family doctor without the worry of costs and if he was too ill to get out of bed the nice man would be round the next morning. All part of the service. Lennon didn't have the worry of paying for University, education was free, right through to graduation. So although I would agree you don't have to be working class to be a hero, I just wonder what the fuck he was complaining about.

Gary? ride si sapis