[lbo-talk] unepmployment numbers

bradhatch bradhatch3 at earthlink.net
Tue May 4 11:19:26 PDT 2004

I have question for the economists on the list. According to my local newspaper there are 2 unemployment surveys used, one surveys businesses to payrolls the other is a household survey asking families if they have an unemployed member. If I'm not mistaken, the employer survey is the one thats taken seriously and used by the department of labor. But recently the other is being used by republicancs because it gives them better employment numbers. They say that this is the accurate count because residential surveyes also count the number of people not looking for work because they have started their own bussinesses. Which survey is most accurate and why?