[lbo-talk] Was the USSR a "good try" and valuable counterweight?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue May 4 12:22:22 PDT 2004

A lot to address, and not much time to do it, so I'll have to be overly glib:

Todd: by "dancing partner" I meant adversary. Actually, Chomsky thinks they did have a co-dependent relationship: the USSR used the threat of the west to strengthen their power over the Eastern Bloc, and the US used the threat of the USSR to engage in imperial war overseas. As one might expect, I don't agree with this interpretation of history.

Joanna: yes, I should read more history on many subjects, but my assertion about the tyrannical nature of the post-revolution USSR stands.

On a related point, Chris: Sure, the USSR became more benign over time. I think the Marxist and Chomskyian habit of identifying the "ruling class" in capitalist countries as more or less homogenous and unchanging over time leads one into many errors. I don't make the same sort of mistakes with regard to communist countries. Hell, even Ronnie probably knew that there were important differences between Stalin and Gorby.

Justin: yes, I'm sure that the existence of the USSR had some positive effects on the west. However, I doubt the consequences were on balance positive (I think Nathan makes some good points). Further, since unlike you I think that the Cold War was primarily a war against the Soviet Union, I don't believe that the US would've bothered with going to war in e.g. Vietnam if not for the Soviets.

Doug: I think Ted adequately countered your bizarre claim that tyrannies that enjoy some substantial degree of public support aren't really tyrannies after all.

-- Luke