[lbo-talk] The Backlash Blues

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 4 17:08:53 PDT 2004

>lbo-talk] Cultural Change?
>Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org, Tue May 4 13:48:02 PDT 2004
<snip>
>So if the probable result of a particular political demand is
>backlash and political loss, then don't make that political demand.
>Make a different one that is more strategic and will move you
>towards the desired goal.

Mister Backlash, Mister Backlash, Just who do you think I am? Tell me, Mister Backlash, Who do you think I am? You raise my taxes, freeze my wages, Send my son to Vietnam.

You give me second-class houses, Give me second-class schools, Second-class houses, And second-class schools. You must think us colored folks Are second-class fools.

When I try to find a job To earn a little cash, Try to find myself a job To earn a little cash, All you got to offer Is a white backlash.

But the world is big, The world is big and round, Great big world, Mister Backlash, Big and bright and round -- And it's full of folks like me who are Black, Yellow, Beige, and Brown.

Mister Backlash, Mister Backlash, What do you think I got to lose? Tell me, Mister Backlash, What you think I got to lose? I'm gonna leave you, Mister Backlash, Singing your mean old backlash blues.

_You're the one, Yes, you're the one Will have the blues._

Langston Hughes, "The Backlash Blues' -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>