[lbo-talk] pull quote of the month

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue May 4 19:24:17 PDT 2004

Been meaning to post this for a few days. This past weekend's Financial Times had a piece on the front page of the Weekend section that was a memoir of a rather star-crossed brewery joint venture in China, written by one of the English partners. The Chinese partner was the municipal government of Beijing, represented by a "Madame Wu." The pull quote reads:

"Meetings got worse and worse. There was a huge row about our beer labels. Madame Wu told me that I was 'talking in dog farts.'"

Doug

--'dog farts' (gopi) is the chinese way of saying 'bullshit', and the sense is usually to mean 'nonsense'.

steve