[lbo-talk] Re: Ralph Nader, Suicide Bomber

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue May 4 22:15:20 PDT 2004

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> Personally, I tend to lean towards the view that people act out of
> rational self-interest. I judge motives according to outcomes and assume
> that the obvious outcome is what is intended. But I'm a bit dim like
> that. Socially inept. So you might be right, he might be simply
> deranged. Doesn't matter, better to do the right thing for the wrong
> reasons, than to do the wrong thing (vote against what you believe in)
> for the right reasons.

Nader is probably running because he believes that his candicacy is good for American democracy. Like most social change activists, on one level he is acting on a strategy that he sees as fitting his principles and goals. It's not like the guy needs to make a name for himself or sell more books.

And if he is anything like me, all the calls for him to drop out are only prompting him to be more stubborn and dig in his heels.

Chuck0