[lbo-talk] Was the USSR a "good try" and valuable counterweight?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 23:07:10 PDT 2004

Well, from my experience here in Moscow, I would say that Stalin was the most popular Russian leader ever, at least post-tsarist. He is No. 2 in popularity todaty, after Putin.

Have you ever seen the footage of Stalin's funeral? That is mass grief.

Sakharov cried when Stalin died. Everybody cried. God was dead.

--- if you're arguing that there was popular support for the regime in Russia, I'm afraid I missed the evidence. I would argue that it would be impossible for us to guage exactly how much popular support existed for the regime, even if we had opinion polls available - because such evidence might not mean very much. "Consent" obviously means something different in a dictatorship than in a liberal democracy - so I reckon the first problem we'd have would be the definition of terms.