[lbo-talk] The Stanford Prison Experiment

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed May 5 04:32:00 PDT 2004

hell, Zimbardo already updated his site to include a pic of England mocking detainees in Iraq. Also, I had forgotten that not all guards became assholes, only about 1/3 of them. Zimbardo's research, though, suggests that we can't predict based on their pscyhological evaluations, which guards will become assholes:

Types of Guards

By the fifth day, a new relationship had emerged between prisoners and guards. The guards now fell into their job more easily -- a job which at times was boring and at times was interesting.

There were three types of guards. First, there were tough but fair guards who followed prison rules. Second, there were "good guys" who did little favors for the prisoners and never punished them. And finally, about a third of the guards were hostile, arbitrary, and inventive in their forms of prisoner humiliation. These guards appeared to thoroughly enjoy the power they wielded, yet none of our preliminary personality tests were able to predict this behavior. The only link between personality and prison behavior was a finding that prisoners with a high degree of authoritarianism endured our authoritarian prison environment longer than did other prisoners.

In 2003 U.S. soldiers abused Iraqi prisoners held at Abu Ghraib, 20 miles west of Baghdad. The prisoners were stripped, made to wear bags over their heads, and sexually humiliated while the guards laughed and took photographs. How is this abuse similar to or different from what took place in the Stanford Prison Experiment?

http://www.prisonexp.org/slide-33.htm