[lbo-talk] RE: Hoods

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed May 5 09:00:35 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, May 5, 2004, at 09:22 AM, Bill Bartlett wrote:

> So Americans are a bit like puppies, the world just needs to rub their
> noses in it to stop them crapping all over the carpet.

I would like to suggest that Americans are no different from other people in this respect; in particular, if Australians were involved in this kind of thing, do you think they would behave in any other way? It's all about nationalism: people in country X, where X is any place on earth, think that they are the most wonderful, pure, shining examples of humanity ever, and cannot believe that they are subject to the same depraved instincts as every other human being.

By the way, is it absolutely certain that Australians are not involved? If I remember correctly, they are part of the "coalition."

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax