[lbo-talk] Buffett advising Kerry

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 5 09:08:17 PDT 2004

[so it's the value investors vs. the supply siders?]

Buffett joins Kerry's economic team World's 2nd wealthiest person and critic of White House tax plan says election is more about Bush. May 3, 2004: 7:09 AM EDT

OMAHA, Neb. (Reuters) - Warren Buffett, the world's second wealthiest person, said Sunday he had joined Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's economic advisory team.

Buffett has long been a critic of the tax policies of the Bush administration, which he believes favor the wealthy and big corporations over the middle class.

"I'm available if anyone wants to ask my view of anything," Buffett said of his involvement with Kerry at a news conference in Omaha, Neb., a day after the annual meeting of his Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

Buffett said Kerry had asked him three weeks ago if he would be part of an economic advisory council that includes Robert Rubin, who was Treasury Secretary in the Clinton administration. Buffett said he had accepted.

Buffett, whose net worth is estimated by Forbes at $42.9 billion, said he was not likely to have much contact with Kerry and expected to play a limited role.

He said that he believed the election would be more about Bush than about Kerry.

"I personally think our election will be a referendum on George W. Bush," Buffett said. "The Kerry campaign is much less important than how people feel about Bush."

Buffett's support of Kerry is the second time in the past year he has entered the political fray. Though a Democrat, Buffett was an economic advisor to Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, in his successful bid to become governor of California.