[lbo-talk] Iraqis are Rapests (sic), MPs have sex

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed May 5 10:57:13 PDT 2004

The Torture Report is now available. Below, a freeper 'gem' where the "hazing" is likened to what goes on in bathhouses every day.

In the report they describe a US soldier thusly:

"k. (S) A male MP guard having sex with a female detainee;"

Although, when an Iraqi prisoner was caught having, uh, sex, the report describes the MPs punishment:

i. (S) Writing "I am a Rapest" (sic) on the leg of a detainee alleged to have forcibly raped a 15-year old fellow detainee, and then photographing him naked;

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/library/reports/2004/800-mp-bde.htm

The report uses the word abuse 58 times; torture 2 times. (may be some whack military jargon going on there but I doubt it.)

Someone mentioned the way the media has been shaping this with language. Here's some "fun" stuff:

Abu Ghraib and torture yields 3,110 hits http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&ie=UTF-8&q=abu+ghraib+torture

Abu Ghraib and abuse yields 7450 http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&ie=UTF-8&q=abu+ghraib+abuse

Abu Ghraib and rape 743 http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&ie=UTF-8&q=abu+ghraib+rape

For those who want to see if this changes, I did the search 1t 12:15 EST 05/05. Check back and compare later, as they drop old stories and add new. You might be able to compare the ratio to see if it shifts from day to day. They change by the hour, IIRC. --

FAUX news' Sean Hannity concurred with Tony Robinson (former instructor at the US Interrogation School) that what happened was like a fraternity hazing. http://mediamatters.org/items/200405030010

It also came up on To the Point (shout out to Eublides!) in a debate between Rick MacArthur (Publisher of Harper's magazine and author of Second Front: Censorship and Propaganda in the Gulf War ) debated Cliff Kincaid (Editor of the Accuracy in Media Report, former editorial writer and newsletter editor for Oliver North). http://www.moretothepoint.com/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?show_code=tp&air_date=5/4/04&tmplt_type=Show

News Max picked it up: http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1128336/posts

(I provided the Free Republic link since you may be interested in reading responses to it. As one person noted, "As I said before this sounds like what goes on everyday in a San Fransisco bathhouse")