[lbo-talk] RE: Hoods

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 11:01:05 PDT 2004

>From: Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>
>
>On Wednesday, May 5, 2004, at 09:22 AM, Bill Bartlett wrote:
>
>>So Americans are a bit like puppies, the world just needs to rub their
>>noses in it to stop them crapping all over the carpet.
>
>I would like to suggest that Americans are no different from other people
>in this respect; in particular, if Australians were involved in this kind
>of thing, do you think they would behave in any other way? It's all about
>nationalism: people in country X, where X is any place on earth, think that
>they are the most wonderful, pure, shining examples of humanity ...

I dunno, Americans seem to have a sentimental fondness for themselves that exceeds that of any other people on earth or in history. What other nation, for instance, has experienced so many bouts of "lost innocence"? Whether the Kennedy assassination, Vietnam War, Oklahoma City bombing, Columbine shooting, you name it -- loss of US innocence has been one of the most recurrent themes of US news coverage in my lifetime. I can't think of another culture that is that childish.

Carl