[lbo-talk] Just Do Something!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 5 18:42:41 PDT 2004

Joseph Wanzala wrote:

>sorry, but you cannot simply declare the statement about
>Featherstone's work on the ISO in the Nation as a 'strike' Ms.
>Featherstone did in fact write some articles for the Nation and the
>question of how accurate they were or whether or not they were
>red-baiting as stated in the piece I posted has been the subject of
>extensive debate.
>
>As to Christian Parenti's reportage from Baghdad, we are told by
>Louis Project that: The other important piece of information that
>Christian gleaned from his travels about Baghdad is that the people
>want nothing more than peace. He quoted one Iraqi as saying, "Take
>our oil--take it all. Just get the electricity turned back on."
>Somehow I find it hard to visualize all this. Maybe I am just jaded
>from reading Thomas Friedman.

The author of this greasy little piece - Proyect, not Project - is motivated by personal vendettas. Nothing he says about any of us should be taken seriously. And it really fucking annoys me to see him quoted here.

In both cases, he, and by extension you, is doubting eyewitness reporting. I'm married to one of the reporters, and a good friend of the other. If it's their words against Proyect's, I know whom I'm going to believe.

I really wonder how three authors who identify in the piece as "Marxists" can be guilty of red-baiting. In this usage, it's simply a lazy substitute for argument.

Doug