[lbo-talk] women torturers

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu May 6 22:19:19 PDT 2004

one would hope that womans' lib might have improved this, joanna. the assumption being that women with equal opportunity would be less repressed, and less likely to take out their anger and frustration on other men and women. i've so often heard from woman that other women are a problem. and from blacks that they get less consideration from black authority figures than they do white authority figures. but i guess this depends on individuals.

the bottom line seems to be that all human beings are fallible.

----- Original Message ----- From: "joanna bujes" <jbujes at covad.net> To: "lbo" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 9:54 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] women torturers

My father, a communist jew, was caught/imprisoned/tortured by the iron guard (fascists) in Romania during the second world war. One of the things I remember him telling me about that episode is that "women are the worst torturers," meaning most cruel. This is my anecdotal reply to the hypothesis that this generation of women in the military are worse than previous generations.

There is no reason to think that women are gentler or saner than men. Subjected to the same crap, they act in the same crappy way. There are some things they're a good bet for. For example, I've always told my kids that if they get lost, they should ask a woman for help, not a man. Otherwise, I've had perfectly horrible women bosses (far worse than the men) and I've dealt with perfectly horrible women in my life.

Joanna