[lbo-talk] Re: Anybody But Kerry the Dole of 2004?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri May 7 07:25:14 PDT 2004

On Thursday, May 6, 2004, at 09:21 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Has anyone read or heard anything from Mr. Kerry about
> tackling this?

I also agree that Chuck's analysis is correct, and that Kerry should be pushed on this. I don't think Big K has said anything about this yet; in fact, he hasn't said much about Iraq at all except that he agrees with Bush that we should "stay the course." He also said the other day, if I recall correctly, that if he were president "you would see very different things happening in Iraq," but that's hardly specific.

I sent him an e-mail a couple of days ago saying that his idol, JF Kennedy, had written a book, "Profiles in Courage," and asked him where his courage was. The next day, he made a somewhat more critical statement about Iraq. So I guess he read my message. :-)

He's obviously laying behind the public opinion polls, waiting until it seems safe to express more explicit criticism of Bush's Iraq policy. But that's obviously not good enough for us. People should push him to dismantle the "War on Terror" if he is elected, as Chuck says. Let's organize a campaign to bombard him with messages to this effect. I think he'll be very cautions about criticizing the "War on Terror" in public statements during the campaign, because he doesn't want the Bush campaign to attack him on that issue, but the more messages he gets (assuming that his staff reads this stuff at all), the more they will be aware that there will be support for him if he is elected and takes that course.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ After the Buddha died, people still kept pointing to his shadow in a cave for centuries—an enormous, dreadful shadow. God is dead: but the way people are, there may be, for millennia, caves in which his shadow is still pointed to. — And we — we must still overcome his shadow! —Friedrich Nietzsche