[lbo-talk] a message from Bolivia

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Fri May 7 08:07:21 PDT 2004

This is a message from a friend of mine who is based in Bolivia. As you can see from this message, the DA in a high-profile prosecution there is accusing him of being a member of the ELN (one of the two Colombian guerrilla groups). Given the way the Colombian paramilitaries behave I'm naturally a little apprehensive about his safety, though he says here he doesn't mean to be alarmist. Per his request at the end of this message, I'm nevertheless forwarding this to people I think should know about it. You might want to send him a note of encouragement. (Nothing inflammatory of course!)

---------- Forwarded Message ---------- From: forrest hylton <forresthylton at hotmail.com> Subject: terrorism allegations against us Date: May 7, 2004 10:34 AM

Comrades, Friends,

Greetings to all. I don't mean to be alarmist, but following the counsel of a trusted advisor, I wanted to let everyone know that my companera Lina and I have been accused of being members of the Colombian ELN as a result of our efforts to free Francisco "Pacho" Cortes, who, being Colombian, is currently Bolivia's "trophy" terrorist. On Wednesday night (if I remember correctly), DA Rene Arzabe, who's trying to put Pacho away for 30 years, said on TV that he has proof that the foreigners who've been visiting Pacho all along (and we're the only ones he could be talking about) are ELN, and that they would be arrested and detained next time they tried to visit Pacho.

Obviously this is nothig more than a crude, albeit effective, way of silencing dissent and squelching human rights activism. We do not anticipate that anything will come of these threats, but they arise at a time when Pacho's "comrades" are cutting a deal with the DA to turn state's evidence on Pacho. To ram the deal through, the DA has demanded that we shut up. Which is what we plan to do until the heavy weather clears.

This e-mail is obviously intended to serve as a preventive security measure in case anything happens to us. In the meantime, and although we are expecting the best rather than the worst, please alert whomever you think should know about this.

Best,

Forrest