[lbo-talk] Re: Anybody But Kerry the Dole of 2004?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri May 7 10:43:10 PDT 2004

[Chomsky on Afghanistan.] The major issues scarcely even arose, beginning with the obvious one: What is the justification for bombing Afghanistan? The official reason, announced when the bombing began, was that Afghanistan was refusing to turn over Osama bin Laden to the US (overthrowing the Taliban regime was an afterthought, added after several weeks of bombing). The people of Afghanistan was informed that they would be bombed until the Taliban accepted this demand. Taliban requests for evidence were dismissed with ridicule, as were tentative offers of extradition. Eight months later, the head of the FBI testified to the Senate that the US still did not know who was responsible for 9-11. US intelligence "believed" that the plot was hatched in Afghanistan, but implemented and financed elsewhere. In brief, US intelligence confirmed that the bombing of Afghanistan was the "supreme crime" condemned at Nuremberg: violent aggression, without credible pretext.