[lbo-talk] Michael Moore plays with the truth

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri May 7 11:04:29 PDT 2004

At 01:06 PM 5/7/2004, Daniel G. Skinner wrote:
>Kelley,
>Can you please be more specific with your claim? Otherwise it is just ad
>homonym fluff and a waste of band-width.
>Dan

I'm devastated.

He spends a bunch of time portraying himself as gun owner and NRA member. This is supposed to legitimate what he says. He pulls a kind of bait and switch. He leads you to think his problem is with a culture of fear. In the end, though, he goes after Charlton Heston by plaintively leaving the photo of a dead little girl at his doorstep. As if it's the NRA's fault that the girl was shot? Excuse me?

But back to the beginning, after he tries to establish his street cred, he goes on to portray gun owners. Does he pick "normal" people? No, he picks a motley crew of people who are probably in no way representative of gun owners. 2A absolutists like the MIchigan Militia are a tiny minority of the gun owning population and a tiny minority of the 2A supporting population. WHY? Because if you've ever listened to a 2A absolutist, they seethe with hatred at the NRA! Why? because the NRA capitulates to some reasonable level of gun control. Not what liberals would like but a lot more than the far smaller faction of absolutists gun owners support, which is no controls whatsoever.

How many gun owners do you think would support background checks? police permits? checks on the private sale of gun?

20%?

No. Higher.

45%?

No. Higher.

55%?

No Higher.

What about income and education?

Manual laborer? lower middle strate? Uneducated?

No. Gun ownership increases with income.

http://www.norc.uchicago.edu/online/guns01.pdf

So, now you've just alienated people who might be on your side. They have a gun but are actually proponents of limits on gun ownership. But instead of portraying them, you portray all gun owners as like the wacky militia members. http://www.jhsph.edu/gunpolicy/99_Summary%20of%20Findings.pdf

As Jordan pointed out recently, a lot of gun violence is committed in the course of drug crimes. This is why Asscoft's big focus was on reducing gun violence when Bush took office in 2000. They were using it as a pretext to continue the War on Drugs.

If it's a culture of fear that's the problem, then why is Kmart at fault for selling bullets?

Poor propaganda if your target are "regular americans" and about half of households own a gun. Good propaganda if your target is liberals and lefties who'd prefer to deal in stereotypes.

I'm sure there's more but I"m not going to waste four bucks on a video and I don't know when it'll be on HBO or Showtime next.

Kelley