[lbo-talk] RE: Why the torture at Abu Ghraib should be no surprise

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri May 7 11:06:21 PDT 2004

I think there's something to this. The out-sourcing of torture and interrogation in the prisons and of the general death-squad activities in Iraq is evidence of some desire for distancing in the Pentagon. (When asked about the rape of one teenager in Abu Ghraib, the Pentagon responded that the accused was a "contractor" and not under military discipline.)

They felt no need for that distancing during the Phoenix program, but now the "contractors" constitute the second-largest military force in Iraq -- i.e., there are more US mercenaries there than there are British troops. This is, in an odd way, progress. Just as Reagan could not invade Nicaragua as Kennedy had Vietnam and had to resort instead to a proxy army, so Bush perhaps can't get away with an occupation as brutal and racist as the one we sponsor in Palestine. (Admittedly, that didn't help the tens of thousands of people we killed in Nicaragua, or in Iraq.) --CGE